There are so many things in life that we all take for granted. The past few months have been exhausting for me due to my husband being deployed again. I have felt, at times, that I’m failing… failing at being a good mom and wife, failing at housework, failing at keeping up a workout routine…. the list goes on and on.
Today I thought about all of it. I thought about all the blunders that came with 2016 and believe me, there were quite a few! After making a mental list of all the crap that happened, I started to wonder why I was focusing on all that stuff. Why hold on to the bad and not acknowledge the good? There’s so many things that I cherish and I’ve neglected to even give them a second thought. So, here’s a few things that get me through the day!
- Coffee- Coffee is my elixir! It keeps me slightly sane and gets me through a whole day of dealing with a teenager and toddler!
- Nature and Hiking- Living in Hawaii has its advantages! It is absolutely beautiful here and the adventures are endless! Just taking my little one out in the stroller for a walk through the neighborhood is relaxing and gorgeous. The hikes we’ve been on really help with stress and worry too.
- Playtime with the kiddos- Playtime isn’t always the easiest thing to do when you’re so tired and have a million things left on your daily list. But I will say that it’s worth every second. The memories we make last a lifetime. The bond you make with your children will be one of the most important things ever.
- Small gestures and gifts from your kids- I don’t care if it’s a rock! One day you will look back on that moment and smile! I have saved rocks, small flowers, little poems and clay pots.
- My health- My health may be a work in progress, but I still have it! I don’t just sit around all day. I move, go outside, have a garden, take walks, go on picnics… make use of your body! Your family depends on you. You may not feel important all the time, but you are.
- Hearing “mommy” 60 million times a day- I don’t care what anyone says. Being a mom is tough at times. Some days are so exhausting. But at the end of the day, after hearing “mommy” ALL DAY LONG, I’m so thankful for my kids. They make my world go round!
- Husband’s boots in the floor and uniforms to wash- I’m serious! Every time he has deployed it hits me that I miss that. It reminds me how lucky I am to have him, how proud I am of him, how hard-working he is and how empty it feels when he’s gone.
- Friends- I have a few close friends and a wonderful sister-in-law that I keep in constant contact with. Whether it’s just a phone call to chit-chat or vent, they are always right there. It’s nice to have friends that hold you up when you’re feeling knocked down.
The last one….I’m breathing! I’m still here! I’m lucky to get to spend another day with my family and live this beautiful chaotic life! My husband always says, “It’s not that serious.” For the longest time I’ve battled being stressed and full of worry. I worry about everything. I stress over the smallest blunders. I have, however, gotten better about letting things go. I’ve tried really hard to think things through and demand a less stressful life. Sometimes all it takes is putting your foot down and not allowing events or people to pull you down. So, remember this one small piece of advice. If something is bothering you, ask yourself if it will matter in 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years. If the answer is no, then let it go.